We’ve made our garden plan for 2008. Our garden will include some old favorites and some new items.
- Roma Tomatoes – We’ll use these for spaghetti sauce.
- Golden Nugget Tomatoes – The Man of the House will use these for tomato wine. I’ll use any leftovers in tomato jam.
- Walking Onions – We had a great experience with these last year.
- Lettuce – We’ve grown this before and come to the realization that we just don’t enjoy lettuce salads. So we’re going to cut back on lettuce.
- Cabbage – Experience tells us that we’re much better at eating cabbage than we are at eating lettuce. We like it. We have multiple recipes involving cabbage. We plan to grow more of it this year.
- Rhubarb – TMOTH makes a lovely rhubarb wine.
- Green Peppers – This will be our third year growing them.
New This Year:
- Peas – In addition to eating the peas we’ll try to make pea pod wine. As fans of Good Neighbors you know we’ve got to give that a try.
- Cucumbers – I have mixed feelings about this as I don’t consider raw cucumbers an eatable food. I do like pickles though. So maybe this will turn into my first canning experience.
- Brussels Sprouts – This is part of our “eat more vegetables” plan. We figure that if we put all the effort into growing vegetables that we’ll be more likely to eat them. Neither one of us is a good veggie eater. I’m a great dessert eater. The Man of the House is a huge fan of pizza. But veggies have proven to be a challenge. We’ve recently had Brussels sprouts and like them so we’re going to work more of them into our diet.
- Green Beans – We’ve been buying these canned and are eager to try the fresh variety.
Additionally we’ve got an herb garden, two small apple trees and wild blackberries.
TMOTH has ordered the seeds for the items we don’t have. The next step is put in one new garden bed and prep our existing garden beds for planting. I guess you know what we’ll be doing the next few weekends. 🙂